[MacDV] OSX and SCSI

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu May 6 13:26:14 PDT 2004

On May 6, 2004, at 8:43 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> It comes up no information found in the system profiler. Has anybody
> had
> any experience with this problem?

Do you happen to have an external SCSI hard drive around?

The reason I ask is that I've always found troubleshooting SCSI
problems with scanners to be a lot more difficult than with hard
drives. The drivers for scanners always seemed to be so finicky I could
never tell if it was a SCSI problem or scanner/scanner driver problem.
Connecting a SCSI hard drive was always a more reliable method for me
to determine if the SCSI card was working. If a hard drive worked, I
knew it was time to work on drivers and possibly SCSI termination or
cable issues (the hard drives also seemed to be more forgiving in this
regard too).

Which brings up another question. Are you sure you have everything
properly terminated? It may be possible that OS X is less tolerant of
noise in the system.

-Mike