[MacDV] Re: Which format?

Carter Tomassi carter at messyoptics.com
Fri May 7 11:35:22 PDT 2004

Steve, you mentioned Sorenson 3. Is that the paid version you are
talking about? From my own experience, Sorenson works best using this
paid version. But even Sorenson Squeeze shows field interlacing (the
horizontal comb artifact) on fast pans. You might try a very slight 0.5
pixel vertical motion blur if you have a way to do blurs.

It would be wise to deal with the field artifacts before compressing
the movie. There are a number of methods, none have been totally
successful for me. I have tried the Magic Bullet demo, the DV Film
Maker demo, blending Upper Field First into a Lower FF layer with
overlay and blurs, vertical motion blur, etc. I don't recall how a
computer monitor deals with fields but that may be part of the problem.
If anyone knows better, I would like to hear your advice, too.

Last year I compressed a trailer for a friend using Squeeze. He gave me
the trailer from FCP as at 720x540 with a data rate of 1.1 MB/sec. The
largest movie we ended up using was 480x360 with a data rate of 140.6
Kb/sec, that is the CD default in Squeeze. The interlacing as well as
some other DV artifacts are still visible throughout the trailer. This
was originally 35mm film telecined to DVcam. We would probably do it
differently now. Here's the site:
http://www.thevisagemovie.com/trailer.html . The other formats were
done elsewhere but are still informative for comparisons. Incidentally,
the Real Player version caused Safari to crash as it was downloading.

Have you also tried Motion JPEG A or B at 95% quality or better? Many
After Effects people prefer this free compression scheme for doing
previews.

Carter Tomassi