[MacDV] Re: can't see formac ext disk

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed May 19 12:17:48 PDT 2004

>thanks Jim
>
>>Initializing means formatting. Puts the mac basic file system on
>>the disc. Usually
>>a good thing to do with a new disc.
>
>got that bit - it wants me to do it but I don't want to because it's
>got stuff on it I want, hence the question
>
>>The ATA bus is the disc controller. It is the many pin ribbon cable
>>plugged into your discs.
>
>great - this makes sense now but how can I plug that into a
>powerbook or imac  - perhaps using an adaptor?
>
>regards

I'm coming into this discussion rather late. Mark, if you
need to save your data, you're probably best going to
a computer store and asking for help. Dropping hints,
such as "if you lose the data on this disk, I'll be
forced to send out my cousin Guido to rearrange your kneecaps"
may help as well.

If you're plugging in the disk and it keeps saying "Do you
want to format", then you're probably already past the point
of do-it-yourself.

-- Erica