[MacDV] Need help - still photo software

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.ca
Wed May 19 14:01:41 PDT 2004

Photoshop is what you are looking for, although I wouldn't guarantee it
will do the magic you need. Or, to put it another way, if anything can
solve the problem Photoshop would do it.

Not being the Photoshop expert in our family, I'd also suggest either
finding someone who is or getting a good book on Photoshop and digital
photography. There's a steep learning curve to Photoshop.

Jeff Carruthers
On May 19, 2004, at 4:41 PM, Dr. M. Burek wrote:

> I've never been much of a photographer, so I've not needed "special"
> photo software, until now. I have 50+ photos in digital format, that
> were taken with a regular film camera. I also have the negatives, and
> the prints. However, 90%+ of the photos are out of focus, and blurry.
>
> These photos are of work on parts that I did (not computer related),
> that cannot be re-shot. They are irreplaceable. So, I'm willing to
> spend money to get a software package that will (hopefully) enhance
> the pictures enough to be usable. But, I don't know what to get -
> hence, this request for help.
>
> I have iPhoto, but it's useless for this. I've thought about getting
> Photoshop, but I don't know if the Mac version is the same as the PC
> version, with the same or similar features (I have Photoshop 6.5 for
> PC).
>
> I need suggestions on what software to get. It MUST be able to enhance
> very blurry photos, and sharpen up the enhancement, enough to be able
> to see what's on the photo. Extreme enhancement to the point of
> "normalizing" the photo would be better. It must be able to run on
> either OS 9.1 or better, up to OS X 10.2.6 or 10.2.8, on a G3 400 MHz,
> with 192 MB RAM. Disk space is not an issue.
>
> Would Photoshop be good enough for this, or do I need something else?
> All suggestions are welcome.
J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-267-3890; cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, Perth, ON K7H 3C3              Fax: 613-267-6727
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for 25 years