[MacDV] can't see formac ext disk

S Ferguson seanferguson at bellsouth.net
Wed May 19 17:36:34 PDT 2004

Hello To All!

I've been lurking here for some time due to the wealth of information that
seems second nature to most of you.  I'm just a novice with Mac multimedia
production but when I read the message from Mark Walker, I recognized the
symptoms he described and "felt his pain."  ... Just wanted to add my 2
cents.
R.B. Williams nailed it by advising "to remove the drive from the case and
see if it is recognized as an internal under either OSŠ".  ... I'm guessing
that the drivers are corrupted.  So, putting the drive into the computer as
a second drive to your Startup drive should do the trick.  But first, check
the jumpers!  If you are unsure of what mode they are set to (Master, Slave,
or Cable Select), go to the website of the drive manufacturer and search on
their database with your drive's model #.  Most hard drive manufacturers
have the jumper settings for all their models readily available.  If your
Mac is fairly new it probably supports "Cable Select" mode.  If you are not
sure, the thin "User's Guide" that came with your Mac will have that
information.  If your computer supports Cable Select, then adjust the
jumpers accordingly.  If it does not, then set the jumpers to Slave
(assuming the Startup drive is set to Master).  Then startup normally (from
your Startup drive) - IN OSX!  I'm betting the second drive comes right up
on the desktop.  However, if you start in OS9 the drive will probably NOT be
recognized again because it thinks there are no drivers.  But OSX does not
need the drivers to see the drive (doesn't matter if the drive was ever
formatted with or used with OSX before).  Then just get the data off,
reinitialize/format it (in OSX or OS9), and put it back in the FireWire case
... problem fixed.
If this does not work, I would recommend Prosoft Engineering's "Data
Rescue."  And since you were using the drive in OS9 before, get "Data Rescue
Classic" and get the data off using OS9.  I think "Data Rescue" is $99,
downloaded from their site.  Here's the link:
http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/downloadCenter.php?PHPSESSID=7d49
aa0324462cf0beb0999039a35010
Don't bother ordering the "startup" CD though, it probably WON'T startup
your computer!  Just use the download version and you'll get your serial #
right on the spot.  If Data Rescue (No Affiliation!) can't get the data,
then I'd say you were stuck, short of sending the drive to a pro for a few
thou!  Seriously, I have used this software with complete 100% success when
Disk First Aid, DiskWarrior, and even Drive Setup can't see the drive.
Good Luck!

Sean Ferguson