OSX and SCSI

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Thu May 20 06:08:14 PDT 2004

Richard:

I've always had problems with Adaptec software drivers and every
release of OS X.  My solution may not work for you, but it's simple
enough to try:

     DELETE (or move) the "Adaptec29160x.kext" file from
System>Library>Extension folder and restart.

I use the Adaptec 2930 card, so I can't speak definitively for other
cards or devices, but if they share some code base, it might work.

I have 2 older (pre-"New World") SCSI devices which I still need to
use: a Castlewood ORB drive and an Imation 8x CD burner.  With OS X
as-installed, Apple provides the "official" Adaptec released drivers
for their current cards, in my case, the "Adaptec290X-2930.kext".
This driver is DYSFUNCTIONAL with my devices!

With this driver installed, the Imation CD burner will only operate
as a CD reader, and the ORB drive will not mount unless a disk is
already inserted at startup.  With the driver removed, both drives
operate as expected.

With every point release of OS X, the install reinstalls this driver,
and I have to go delete it again.  The Orb and Imation drives work
fine with the default generic driver which is also included in every
OS X release: "Adaptec78XXSCSI.kext".

The downside is that deep sleep doesn't work without the 2930 specific driver.