[MacDV] Re: VHS to HD to DVD

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Fri May 21 08:10:04 PDT 2004

On 5/19/04 9:42 PM, Richard Brown at richard at go2rba.com wrote:

> One excellent choice to IMPROVE your VHS when digitizing is to
> rent a Time Base Corrector (TBS) for the weekend from a local video
> rental house. Maybe even rent a pro level VHS deck WITH a built
> in TBC. Playing a VHS as processed through a TBC into a DV
> converter will create DV files which are, to say the least,
> night and day better than ordinary VHS playback.

I totally agree.  I have a JVC "high-end consumer" S-VHS deck with a
built-in TBC (probably not as good as a broadcast TBC, but it definitely
helps, and the deck was only $250).  It also has image stabilization and
digital noise reduction, which all help produce *MUCH* better picture
quality than a regular VHS deck.  I forget the model number (it's a little
over 2 years old), but JVC still makes S-VHS decks with these features.  Not
to mention you can use the S-VIDEO outputs for better signal transfer from
the deck to your DV converter (whether it's a camera or box).  Well worth
the money, in my opinion, especially if you have lots of stuff on VHS you
want to transfer to DVD.

2 cents.

- Mark