VHS to DVD transfers-Ping Richard--MacDV Digest #2710

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri May 21 09:16:27 PDT 2004

Richard,

When you say "large #" it sounds like you might have 25-100 or more.

I'd suggest you consider getting a standalone DVD recorder with hard
drive, rather than try to transfer things into and out of your
computer.

I say this with the experience of owning and using both, particularly
from a time factor.

I think you'd spend less time overall, have better results and less
frustration using a DVD recorder with built in hard drive than trying
to do things on your Mac. Especially the amount of time consumed in
rendering the MPEG2 files on the computer.

After setting the unit, and connecting a monitor or TV set, you hook up
your VHS deck to one of the sets of inputs using RCA's for audio and
either RCA composite video or S-Video connector, select the input using
the channel selector, and you're ready to transfer.

Hit play on the VHS and Record on the DVD recorder and the program is
transferred to the hard drive.

When finished, you can give the file a name using an alpha-numeric
screen and the remote control's up/down/left/right and enter keys to
move the cursor around.

You can lop off excess stuff you don't want from the beginning or end,
and do other rudimentary editing using visual, on-screen tools.  I
assume you want to drop out commercial breaks and other "non-program"
segments.

If you have to split the program into segments to get the results you
want, you can create a playlist when you transfer to DVD that will
transfer the segments in the order you've selected at a 1X speed.

The recorder I use has options for quality that affect how much
material (in hours) that you can put on a DVD.  I most often use the XP
(1 hr) or SP (2 hr) modes and have fine results coming from DV tape or
VHS.

The DVD is recorded using the quality level you select at the time of
transfer to the DVD, so if you transferred a bunch of stuff to the hard
drive at XP, but want to put two hours on a DVD at SP, the box will do
the adjustment as it burns the DVD.

The recorder has a built in time base corrector and some other quality
improvement options that may help as you transfer tapes into the
Recorder.

I't pretty much a "hit record, and walk away" process either on
transferring into the box from tape, or after you've done your
alterations and are transferring to DVD.

I have had maybe one or two "coasters" in maybe a hundred or so DVD's
I've burned on the unit I own.

The prices of new ones are coming down, and you can probably keep an
eye out for one that's a customer return or open box and save 40% to
50% of the list price.

I was able to get a Panasonic unit with 40GB hard drive for under $500
at a Best Buy I happened to pop into.  The unit was apparently a
customer return, but came with all the items it originally had except
the manual, which I downloaded from Panasonic's website.

This was the former top of the line model, which included a Firewire
port for transferring things digitally.  I don't generally use the port
because there doesn't appear to be error correction in the recorder to
remove the digital version of "dropouts" on the tape—pixel blocks that
appear at random times and places for a frame or two.  That happens
even directly from my Macs, even on things that were never on tape to
begin with.

That's not a problem for me, since I haven't really seen any difference
in the on-screen quality using the analog inputs instead of Firewire
when transferring digital projects.

So, shop around a bit and see what you can pick up on.

$500-$600 for a DVD recorder with hard drive seems a better deal than
an analog to Firewire converter at half the price, or a pass-through
capable camcorder at half the price or more, especially when you
consider that you're getting the entire process handled in one box that
will do what you want to do with less hassle and less time spent per
finished DVD.

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA