[MacDV] Past contributor

Art Amolsch aamolsch at shentel.net
Wed Nov 3 10:11:33 PST 2004

Yeah, but what do you really think, Lené?  :-)

Recall that from time-to-time idiocy and/or amnesia overtakes
the populace, but eventually the Republic has righted itself.
The driving force behind the 18th Amendment to the
Constitution in 1919 (Prohibition) was the Women's
Christian Temperance Union, believers (or should that be
"Believers"?) all. We only lived with that idiocy until
the 21st Amendment repealed the 18th in 1933. Both
Amendments required approval of 3/4ths of the states.

In other words, there's hope. The Enlightenment hasn't
been repealed yet, although I agree that the signs are
worrisome. The irony is that the technology those of
us on this list use everyday is a direct result of the
Enlightenment -- the Age of Reason -- and has nothing
to do with Faith; other than faith that the electricity
won't go out before we finish our work.