[MacDV] Re: DV Playback issues--MacDV Digest, Vol 3, Issue 9

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Nov 3 20:43:15 PST 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

Sounds like it could be a slightly different tape path alignment from
machine to machine or possibly heads wearing out or getting clogged.

Error correction can compensate for some differences, but beyond a
certain margin you'll begin to see breakup in the picture, or have data
errors in transfer.

At the worst, you'll not be able to recover the data from the tape
easily.  At best, having a deck or camcorder you can afford to "take
out of alignment" might enable recovery.  Not for the faint-hearted,
those without shaky hands or without the right tools.

Care is needed to keep any tools from slipping and damaging a spinning
head drum.

Having a friendly engineer or tech with the right stuff can come in
handy.

It sounds like you're in a corporate video department.  If the people
you get tapes from work for your company, perhaps aligning ALL cameras
in the company to the same reference standard would help avoid the
problem.

If not, send your contributors a tape that's been recorded on a deck
that HAS been aligned to proper DV or your main format's standard and
require that their cameras match, and that they then send you a tape
that's been recorded post-alignment.

Ted.