[MacDV] FCP HD - humbling a dual 2GHz G5 with filters...

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Wed Nov 10 21:26:19 PST 2004

With distributed rendering coming to other Apple softwares, perhaps
subscribers to this list could join me in recommending Apple design a
new "X" product to go with the Xserve and XRAID boxes... namely
"XRender" -- a blade type Unix box which has but one function - being a
render farm, configurable in processor pairs, 2 at a time, allowing up
to 16 or even 24 processors per box. Yes these would be ultimately very
expensive boxes, but growing by 2 CPUs at a time would cushion the
blow.

I suggest this as I painfully watch my dual 2GHz G5 take HOURS per
MINUTE to render some complex filters over mere DVCAM video.
Specifically, 16 bit processed color and blur filters from Digital FIlm
Tools' 55mm package. While the results are amazing, the time required
brings the dual G5 to its knees - nowhere near enough power to process
these filters with any degree of speed.

As FCP-HD yearns for prominence - speed, or even real-time rendering
would be a huge boon to those using some of the more exotic filters
available today.

Perhaps with the graphical improvements of Tiger, many of the filters
will "go native" for speed improvements, but rendering in 16 bits will
likely still be a number crunching nightmare, quite necessary with
graded tones susceptible to banding in lower bitrates.

Increasing the CPU horsepower is the right solution for many a task in
FCP, Compressor, and a host of third party software offerings.

You can make suggestions at
http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Thanks for participating,

Richard Brown