[MacDV] Re: firmware upgrade for G4 400 DVD writer

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Tue Nov 16 06:02:36 PST 2004

Lynn:

>I'm looking to upgrade an old G4 400 sawtooth to 10.2 and a DVD writer.
>   Due to an old scanner I have to be able to still operate this machine
>in OS9.
>
>Both the Pioneer 105 and 106 DVD writers are compatible with this model
>- but does anyone know if I have to upgrade firmware also?  I'm
>concerned that the firmware upgrade will prevent me from using OS9.

2 years ago I installed a Pioneer 105 in my G4/450 sawtooth.  It has
worked fine in both OS 9.2.x and OS X 10.2 -> 10.3.5.  It is still at
firmware v1.00.

I have never upgraded the firmware, since I'm a believer in the "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

Can't speak for the 106.   Check the XLR8 database:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso