[MacDV] FireWire Hub?

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Wed Nov 17 17:17:34 PST 2004

An iPod can be pretty demanding (according to Chris Breen and Apple). I
put one on an IOGear hub last night along with an older 160 GB Maxtor
hard drive and it worked fine (I think). I transferred about 25 GB of
music. There were some abrupt endings on a few songs, but perhaps
that's the way the music got downloaded or transferred across the
network from one computer to another computer's external drive.

I suspect that sometimes FireWire ports in the computer go bad or there
is another software issue. I've had some really weird stuff happen on
the iMac that stumped the guru at the Apple store too. When I move the
device that won't work on the iMac's FW port to the FW hub on another
computer, it works fine. But sometimes I can put a different device on
the port that I thought was bad, and that device works fine.

Does anyone remember SCSI voodoo?

I don't know if there is an unpowered FireWire hub, but if there is,
avoid it. Don't get the cheapest thing you can find either. Look for
promises to deliver full power to every port on the hub.

Shirley