[MacDV] FireWire Hub?

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Sun Nov 21 10:59:31 PST 2004

It must be a possibility and not just a chain. I once tried to hook up
2 iPods to that powered hub and got some of the strangest behavior I've
ever seen. I don't remember the details now, but I could not see both
iPods and they seemed to be mixed up with each other's names. In fact,
that might have been the beginning of my FireWire problems on the iMac.

I asked Chris Breen why I couldn't have two iPods connected at the same
time and he chose to put that question in his column. The answer was
that it was OK to do it if both were connected either to the ports on
the computer directly or to a powered hub. I was using this same IOGear
powered hub and may have had one or two other devices on it. Evidently
it did not supply enough power to handle 2 iPods. Currently it's
handling an old 160 GB Maxtor drive and a compact flash card reader.

Now here is something really strange to me. So far we've been talking
about FW 400 devices. But I have two external LaCie 800 drives. One is
connected to the FW 800 port and the second drive is connected to the
first drive. I was trying to update the firmware on both and could not
until I disconnected the FW hub. In fact LaCie told me to not even have
another empty FW cable connected to the computer.

Because I don't like the noise the larger drive makes, I had been
powering it off (by pulling the plug from the UPS) after shutdown. I
discovered that I can just disconnect the FW 400 hub and that powers
off both external drives. Would you believe that the FW 400 hub would
power off two other drives connected to a different FW 800 port? Seems
like voodoo to me.

Shirley