[MacDV] Print to Camera Problem - Poor Quality/Pixilated Result

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Mon Nov 29 07:10:29 PST 2004

I imported some video from an analog source ( older high 8 Deck) into final
cut pro hd 4.5. Using a  Hollywood dazzle analog/video/ FireWire converter
box. ( like the canopus)

- I edited the clips to create a short movie.
- I successfully exported the movie in DV format using QuickTime. It looked
great. Then, I successfully created a DVD using iDVD. When I played it on my
home DVD player -  it looked great!

-  Then, I went back to file cut pro -  Set my playback output to FireWire
DV NTSC (audio and video)

- USING SONY dcr pc9 ntsc :  I set this in VTR mode -  and put it in record
- then I hit play on final cut pro - and managed to record onto the Sony
camera.

-  but - * here's the problem* -  when I went to re- import it back to the
computer - (just to check the quality), I was disappointed to see that the
quality coming from the camera was noticeably degraded/pixilated from the
original that was in my Computer.

-  I also tried the same procedure on a Canon XL 1 - but it produce the same
poor quality result.

*** Question: what's going on - why does it look so bad? Is there a setting
that I do not know about that can fix this poor quality?

I was under the impression that the best place to store these master video
files was not on an expensive hard drive - but simply to print the master
back to fresh blank mini DV tape... Am I correct in this assumption?

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hostalive.com
[db-lists]