[MacDV] The joke was funny but on a serious not - seriously!

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue Nov 30 12:11:56 PST 2004

On 11/28/04 10:07 AM, dopel at mac.com at dopel at mac.com wrote:

> Yes Shirley it is so PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

There's actually two parts to the name of this list "Mac" and "DV".  If you
want to try to burn DVDs with a Beige G3, that qualifies as being on-topic.
"Mac" (G3) and "DV" (digital video on a DVD).

For Chris:

I have a crusty old Beige G3 running Panther just fine, but I have problems
burning DVDs under OS X.  I can burn fine under OS 9 using Toast Ti 5.2.3,
but no dice under OS X using Toast Ti 5.x or 6.x.  So, maybe this is kind of
a warning to not get your hopes up for burning under OS X. (I tried with
both Pioneer DVR-108 and 107 models.)

Your best bet for burning DVDs would be to get a cheapo VIA chipset FireWire
card on eBay and a FireWire burner -- I have a FireWire case on the way for
my DVR-108, so I'll post an update on compatibility when I get that going.
I think the problem on the Beige G3 is the ATA bus the optical drive is on
-- it's just not very good -- it's super-old ATA/IDE technology.  :-\  So
the FireWire solution should negate those problems.

And for display cards, hit eBay for a Radeon 7000 PCI model.  People sell
the PC versions flashed for the Mac and they work fine.  That's what I got
in mine -- and I use an Apple DVI to video adapter for viewing my desktop on
a TV, which works in both OS X and OS 9, *and* I have a 19" monitor
connected to the Radeon's VGA port.  :-)  (at least get a "dual-head" card
with DVI and VGA connections)

OWC would be a good/cheap source for RAM for the old beast, but that's
probably it...

Hope that helps.

- Mark