[MacDV] Editing with a G3 Lombard PowerBoo-playback issues

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Oct 6 12:18:26 PDT 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA

Have just upgraded my G3 400MHz Lombard Laptop with 512MB RAM, 40GB
Fujitsu HD w/ 8MB buffer.  Am using a somewhat generic cardbus 2-port
Firewire card for connection to camera/hard drives.

Using a fresh install of OS 10.3.5 with latest updates, one partition
on the drive.

With iMovie 4 (with latest update), video captures fine.  Playback out
to the camera is somewhat a different story.  Video will intermittently
hang for a frame or two, hang for longer periods of time, stutter, or
sometimes get WAAAAY out of sync w/audio.

Intended to try FCP to see whether there was a difference, but I'm not
able to run FCP 2 in the Classic mode, don't have 3, and can't run 4HD
which I do have since it's not a G4.

I could repartition/reload everything to use a separate OS9 partition
to run FCP 2, but I'd like to avoid that if I can, in part since I have
to pop the top 256MB chip out in order to get 10.3 to install.

If that'll solve the problem, I'll do that.

The intended use of the G3 is as a portable way of cutting down say
20-40 minutes of raw news video into just the "best" sound bites and
B-roll so my client stations don't miss stuff that's far beyond the
first five minutes of tape.

That will cut my dubbing time per station down, and if someone else is
driving, I can do the cut-down on the trip from wherever to Sacramento.

Ted.