[MacDV] Soundtrack and Garageband

Lene Wangmo wangmo at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 12:12:15 PDT 2004

Jim and Ryan, thank you very much for all of the insights!
I'm inspired now to try again.  Because of the menu
choice, I didn't get it that Garageband exports anything
other than an MP3 mixdown into iTunes.  But now I get from
what you've said that I can browse from Soundtrack into
Garageband's aiff files of the tracks of my song.

>> You can press the button marked "setup" in the soundtrack browser and
>> presumably point it at garageband loops.

I hadn't been able to find that before.  Just "apple loops" in Soundtrack
which are actually not the same names as the loops I used in Garageband's
"apple loops".  That seems like that would be the solution, if I can
actually get the Garageband apple loops to move into Soundtrack.

>> There may be some utility to the soundtrack loop utility here.
>> Maybe you could save each individual track as a new loop and load them
>> simply one by one?

If I can't figure that out how to get Garageband "apple loops" into
Soundtrack as a separate group of "apple loops" labeled as "GB apple loops",
then I'll try your other suggestion of creating a track loop (a major
upgrade in my "newbie" repertoire), and load 'em one by one.

> Then forget the menus and use the soundtrack file browser to navigate
> to your music.
> set the project for sample rate first. wam bam there ya go.

So I focus in Soundtrack to make this happen instead of trying to export
from  Garageband.  Okay, I'm going for it!

> In the Soundtrack browse panel on the left, browse to the location on
> your hard drive that contains the GB/iTunes-mixed down track.
>You can
> use Command-R on the track in iTunes to locate the correct folder, if
> you're unsure of where it is.  You should see the aiff files there.
> Simply drag and drop the file you want over onto an empty track on the
> right hand side.
>
> Ryan

Wow, I'm stoked.  Thanks, guys.

The grateful flaming "newbie"