[MacDV] Can't render/encode my iDVD project - Can't burn project to DVD

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Oct 23 14:48:35 PDT 2004

On Saturday, October 23, 2004, at 04:41  PM, Robert L. Vaessen wrote:

> Jim -
>
> What you are describing does not work (for me). I tried it. My copy of
> iDVD (version 4.0.1) will not accept a .dv (DV Movie format) file
> (Files ending with .dv) via drag-n-drop. It only accepts .dvdproj
> (iDVD project format) from drag and drop.
If you can't drag a .dv file into the menu area of iDVD then you have
problem. I don''t know what. But the .dvdproj is what you get AFTER you
drop videos on the menu area, write little descriptions and add motion
icons and music. The whole deal is the dvdproj, not the video files.

> I used iMovie (4.0) to import my VIDEO_TS files* (using iMovie's
> File->Import function).
That much seems to be ok. I never did it before, but my iMovie WILL
take an mpg4 with a lengthy
import phase, so I guess that much works.

> Then I saved my movie (with chapter markers, transitions, soundtrack,
> music, some static pictures, titles, etc) as a .dv file using the
> QuickTime panel in iMovie's File->Share function (I used the expert
> setting to ensure NTSC video formating and 48Khz sound formating).
yup

> When I was trying to use iDVD, I used the 'Create iDVD project' button
> from within iMovie, which automatically opens iDVD, imports (into
> iDVD) the digital media from iMovie, and creates a new iDVD project
> file.
Thsi has given me problems. ESPECIALLY with mixed media in one movie.
you should , sorry again, render one dv movie (with chapters) quit
iMovie, open iDVD and then drag and drop the movie where it says "drag
movie here".
If that don't work then either your movie is wrong or your iDVD is
busted.

> You could also save the project (from within iMovie), then use iDVD to
> create a new project. Use iDVD's File->Import function to import the
> .dv file.
Nope. Just drag it in.

> You cannot however (or at least I wasn't able to) drag-n-drop a .dv
> file onto iDVD.
of coyurse you can that is how it works. You should consult the help
and web files.

> I tried the drag-n-drop method you described, but iDVD would not
> hilite/become a target for drag-n-drop of the .dv file.
Open iDVD select a menu style drag and drop right in the menu area.

> iDVD will accept the contents of the iMovie Media folder (The Media
> folder is inside the iMovie project folder (it's the folder that
> iMovie creates when you save your iMovie project)). Doing this is no
> different than using the 'Create iDVD project' button.
Maybe

> My problems are not getting iDVD to open my files. I can get my
> digital media from iMovie to iDVD with no problems.
sorry but apparently you can't. If it is still an Mpeg2 or a bunch of
mixed media it wil stall on render. And rendering mpeg2 another pass is
not really a good idea.

>  My problems occur when I try to burn to a DVD using iDVD. The process
> seems to be hanging at stage 2.
See above comment. it is confused by your procedure.

> I encounter the same problems when I try to burn the iDVD tutorial to
> disk.
"ReinSTall"