[MacDV] DVR-108 + Panther + Beige G3

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Mon Oct 25 09:41:26 PDT 2004

I know there are a few resourceful folks on this list who like to keep
things "retro" on older hardware like Beige G3s, so I have a challenge for
you:

I have a Pioneer DVR-108 that I'm trying to get to work under Panther on a
Beige G3.  I can get it to burn single-layer discs under Mac OS 9 using
Toast Ti 5.2.3 with no problems, but whenever I try to even just *read* a
disc under Panther, I have to reboot the system (using the Terminal because
the system's in limbo at at that point).  Toast 6 hangs, too, requiring a
system reboot to bring the computer back to its senses.

If anyone knows of any hacks I need to use or any special tricks I need to
know about to get this working, please let me know.  If I can't get it to
work internally, I'm gonna have to get a FireWire case (which I don't really
want to do).

Thanks.

- Mark