[MacDV] Burn .dv to DVD without iDVD?

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Mon Oct 25 13:20:19 PDT 2004

on 10/24/04 3:38 PM, Robert L. Vaessen at rvaessen at mac.com wrote:

> All -
>
> Does anyone know a way that I can burn digital video (.dv extesnion) to
> a DVD without using iDVD?  I have been having absolutely no luck
> getting my movie to disc by following Apple's standard iMovie to iDVD
> to DVD workflow.
>
> I have a working digital video file that plays fine in QuickTime 6.5.1
> (Pro version). The movie is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC format with 48Kb stereo
> sound. Data size is 13GB. Duration is 32 minutes 27 seconds.

Do you mean the DV file (.mov) data size is 13 GB? A DV format movie file is
approximately 12 GB/hour, so it makes no sense if you say your movie is 32
minutes 27 seconds - your movie file should be just over 6 GB if it is
indeed that time length.

> What can I use to encode it into a Transport Stream (VIDEO_TS) and burn
> it to disc?

As mentioned earlier, you can make a DVD in Toast.

Just as an addendum, we had a similar issue (crashing while exporting to
MPEG-2) on our school computers when we first upgraded to G5's. This was
using FCP and DVD SP. It turns out that the apps had to be installed in a
very specific order. Quicktime, DVD SP, and FCP all installed their own
versions of the Quicktime MPEG-2 extension and apparently there was a
problem if one installed over the other.

Maybe try to re-install the apps if you haven't already done so.

Good luck!

--
Gregg