[MacDV] Can't render/encode my iDVD project - Can't burn project to DVD

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 06:31:35 PDT 2004

On Oct 26, 2004, at 7:17 PM, Robert L. Vaessen wrote:

> Will toast do authoring, encoding of DVD project? Or, is it only for
> burning data that is ready for disc?
>
> What is the input to Toast?

Toast will do the encoding for you. So you can drag just about anything
you can view (dv, mpg, avi -but not asf, wmv) into Toast and it will do
the encoding for you. You just select wether you want DVD, VCD, SVD....
For basic "i just want to get this on disk" type stuff it works fine.
The problem is you're pretty much stuck with the way Toast does buttons
and their background image (I've read there's a hack to change the
background image). IOW no way to customize the interface. Toast will
also do slide shows and combinations of slide shows and video with the
same limitations -little control over the interface.

I know there are all kinds of tools available to create different parts
of the project and just use Toast to burn the finished VIDEO_TS folder,
but I haven't messed with them.

-Mike