[MacDV] Re: MacDV Digest, Vol 2, Issue 24

Mark Tedin tedinmark at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 31 16:00:57 PST 2004

I was having similar problems with stage two as well.  I was running Activity Monitor (OS X) and started to get some "application not responding" messages and a similar drop in CPU activity.  I rebooted, and tried to burn it again (luckily the same disk was usuable, since it was having problems in the "prep" stage) and left it alone overnight.  The next morning the disk was ready and playable, so I burned a second with no problems.  I was trying to burn a iDVD (3.ish) project in the new 4.0 version, and I think that the reason that stage two was taking so long is that the first page of chapter previews had video clips that ended up being 15 MINUTES LONG!  The second page was okay, with appropriately brief clips.  The DVD runs fine, but the six clips with 15 minutes each of rendered video from the master Quicktime file explains what the holdup was.  I don't know why this happened, but trying to burn a 3.0 project in 4.0 may have corrupted some settings in the transfer.  I dumped that sucker anyway when those last two DVD's were made, so I'm hoping some fresh 4.0 projects won't have the same problem.

Mark Tedin

*************************
stage 2 (rendering and encoding menus and transitions) before the burn
icon began to 'freewheel', spinning at a constant accelerated (compared
to activity prior to this point) rate with a considerable reduction in
CPU activity. Up until this point, there was audible activity on my
computers hard drive. After this point I noted a marked drop in CPU
activity, virtually no hard drive activity, and a continuous spin rate
of the burn icon. I continued to wait for 2 hours before force quitting
iDVD (cancel and quit had no effect).

I had similar results with an attempt to burn the iDVD tutorial.

The QuickTime update made no difference for me. I still think it's the
codec used by iDVD in order to do the encoding/rendering. I know that a
codec upgrade was included in the QuickTime upgrade, but I'm not sure
it's the same codec that's used by iDVD.

- Robert<<<<<<<