[MacDV] Panasonic DVD-R/DVD-RAM video recorder

John Collins johnccollins at comcast.net
Fri Sep 17 13:27:27 PDT 2004

David-- I have the Panasonic DMR-100Hs and really like it (There is a
newer model out now that has about 150 G HD and will hold over 200
hrs.) But to your question-- I had the same goal in mind and purchased
the Panasonic LDF -521(?) DVD-RAM drive on ebay. I put it in an
external FW enclosure with great success, but no go on back and forth
between the 2 units. I am really surprised that I have not been able to
make it work since they are both Panasonic and they are the big pushers
now with DVD-RAM. If anybody else has experience I would like to hear
it also.

However I still like the unit for archiving and general storage. It is
a little problematic if you use the cheaper slim disks. I buy the 2
sided cartridges and they have not failed yet. With all the concern
today about the life of DVD-R disks, I wonder if the RAM cartridfges
might be better long term storage. Obviously both media have to have
appropriate storage conditions. But I understand that DVD-Rs are
failing as soon as 1 year in our general home storage environment.

So to answer your question I like the RAM but can not go back & forth--
each unit wants to reformat the disc.

John in Tucson