[MacDV] .... 38% and counting ....

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Apr 4 19:34:40 PDT 2005

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my email to the list yesterday I began doing a testrun
build of my 2+Hrs footage DVD. The final burn is supposed to be done to a
dual layer disc but I don't have my LaCie burner yet so I'm cramming it
onto a single layer build so I can at least test the flow of the disc and
make sure it all works as it should - especially the 4:3 to 16:9
changeover.

I started the build last night at 8ish and it went through to 25% complete
pretty quickly but it then sat on 31% until we went to bed near midnight.
To my surprise, this morning at 7am or so it was sitting on 36%. My wife
called me from home not too long ago (12noon) and it was at 38% so it's
still moving but inordinately slow.

I have the encoding settings up as high as they can go - double pass,
"Best" for fast motion etc. and I'm on a 17" AlBook 1.0GHz.

Does that about seem right for encoding speed on such settings on such a
size project?

Should I expect to lose about 2 days if I'm going to do projects of this
size using those settings on such a Mac? Or is it much slower than it
should be because I'm trying to cram it all onto a smaller size disc and
it's having to work much harder to crunch it down?

I could have reduced the quality settings for this test burn but I was
also interested in seeing what kind of a job DVDSPro was going to do with
2+hrs of footage to a single layer disc.

Ta muchly,

Cojcolds