[MacDV] My first graduation ceremony

Vtstream vtstream at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 06:39:05 PDT 2005

I've found that having a decent shotgun mic is
necessary in situations like this. There may be too
much extraneous noise to get a good sound track with
the built in mic on the camera and the directional
qualities of a shotgun mic will eliminate the noise
coming from the sides and back. Of course having a
wired mic to the podium would be even better but may
be more difficult to arrange. Ideally two cameras
would be best. One on a tripod with a good sound set
up, one hand held to move around. I realise that may
be impossible though.
Regarding your question about light. You need adequate
light. If you don't have enough light for the camera
then it will look like you don't have enough light for
the camera.
Try to anticipate the schedule of the ceremomy. These
things are pretty much all the same. Music, guest
speaker,validictorian speaker, awards, diplomas. Then
set up accordingly. But then there is also the more
personal close up shots of people's expressions, the
shots that tie the event into the location or the
community like a shot of the school, etc.) Editing it
all together in an interesting way is the real skill.
Regarding whether to zoom or not....zoom slowly, pan
slowly and/or zoom quickly and move the camera alot.
It all depends on the situation you are trying to
convey. People are used to watching TV where it has
become rare to see a clip longer than 2 or three
seconds. If you show them a video with the camera
pointing in one direction for an hour they are going
to say it is boring. This is where even a video of a
graduation ceremony uses Art. Video is an art
form..even one of a graduation ceremony. This is
something that needs to be learned through experience.
Those with talent will learn more quickly.