[MacDV] iMovie won't open or reinstall

Neil Poese npoese at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 10 05:06:31 PDT 2005

I'm teaching in a high school video lab on eMacs running 10.2.8 and
10.3.8 and iMovie 4. After the students finished importing QT.DV files
from external hard drives and editing their show, they closed iMovie and
then it wouldn't reopen. I transfered the file to a second machine,
iMovie opened OK, but then it wouldn't reopen after being closed. After
exporting the file to QT.DV I was able import the file into a third
machine (and transmit the show to a waiting audience of 2000 kids).

To fix the two machines that won't open iMovie any more, I tried
dragging the iMovie icon out of the App folder and then doing a custom
reinstall, but the check-mark for iMovie wasn't even available on the
custom install window. I then reinstalled the OS and did a clean install
of the iLife suite, but I still can't get the machine to open iMovie.

Are there iMovie files that are hiding from me that, if deleted, would
permit me to reinstall it? I'm looking at the prospect of wiping the
drive clean and reinstalling everything - and I really would like to
avoid that!

BTW, I guess that I had some corrupt file in the iMovie project file -
but I've been using iMovie since version 1, and this is first time that
something like this has happened to me.

Thanks!
Neil Poese