[MacDV] My first graduation ceremony

Claire Hart listaddy at hartsites.com
Mon Apr 11 10:11:24 PDT 2005

I would definitely recommend to borrow a second camera.  Leave the
first one on the tripod aimed at center stage, for example, while you
move around filming the fun stuff with the second camera.  Right before
the handing out of diplomas, possibly move it to either the left or
right side of the stage, so you catch the front of the graduates as
they walk across the stage, shake hands, get diploma, smile, etc..
Make sure you leave a trustworthy person guarding that first camera, so
someone doesn't bump into it.

In the same way that motion picture DVDs nowadays have tons of extras
added to the disk along with the actual movie, possibly you could
create two movies.  One would be the "real" one, the edited one.  Then,
you could also have the "boring" one, which would be the stationary
camera on the tripod, so people can fast-forward to the few seconds
where they were getting their diploma.

Regarding the lighting, attend the rehearsal so you can practice
filming, find out which direction the graduates will be walking, and
get an accurate idea of the lighting.  Possibly attend another
graduation first, or another event in the same building, and use that
one as your practice.

Another more complicated and more expensive idea:  For an additional
fee, you could personalize the videos, adding that graduate's 10
seconds of glory into the video.  Of course, you would definitely have
to make that worth your time, especially if you are having to author
each one.

Our high school graduation was filmed last year by someone that charged
more for a less quality product.  In fact, he billed the organization
an additional $400 for additional hours.  I think this guy was just
getting into the field.  This year we are working with someone with a
proven record, and his fees are less.

Just some thoughts,
Claire