[MacDV] Planning a Dual G5 purchase for video use

Richard Dalziel-Sharpe dalshar at optushome.com.au
Thu Apr 14 20:18:57 PDT 2005

Hi Timothy
As Brett says maxing the ram does make a huge difference.
But its not just the applications that are speeded up; OSX loves ram.
Its memory management is very effective in allowing you to do heaps of
multi tasking.
This means you can keep your apps open and have instant access to them
and allows huge improvements in productivity, simply by not having to
shut them down and start them up.
I have a Dual 2gig G5 which had only 512megs of ram at purchase, I was
disappointed in the perceived speed change from my G4 867. But when I
put in another 1.5gig of ram the change was dramatic everywhere, the
only thing that really has not changed to keep up is the brain
operating the keyboard, oh well, our Steve hasnt worked out that one
yet.
Kind regards,
Richard Dalziel-Sharpe