[MacDV] Planning a Dual G5 purchase for video use

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Apr 14 22:45:55 PDT 2005

The dual 2.5 GHz model is like butter when using Final Cut Pro.  I'm
currently working on a video project that is similar to one I undertook
three years ago.  It's nothing that special, but it is illustrative of
how far we've come.  Back then, I used a 867 MHz G4, single processor,
with After Effects and Premiere.  It was my first experience with DV
cameras and Firewire and it was a nightmare.  After Effects was okay
but the Premiere software was not robust (lots of crashing) and
rendering times were measured in hours.  Today, with the current state
of hardware and software, I am able to breeze through this project with
no surprises.  Rendering time is measured in minutes.  FCP is easily
able to accomplish what it took the two Adobe products to do back then.
  No question, you want all the horsepower you can afford ...plus big
hard drives and lots of RAM.  Life is a whole lot more fun now.

Ron Woodland