[MacDV] Shotgun mike?

David Cole themixguy at mac.com
Sat Apr 16 09:08:31 PDT 2005

Never used one on my camcorder, but I'm wondering if it would help. I
get handling noise on my recordings. Maybe my camera is old, but when I
zoom or pan the camera, it creaks a bit (so do I, but that's another
story...). I also get a fair amount of "motor noise" (a constant whir
that I assume is the internal guts of the camcorder spinning) on my
recordings, particularly noticeable in low level audio situations
(quiet parts of a play or church ceremony). If I mount a shotgun mike
on top of the camera, will it still pick up this mechanical noise of
the camera being operated? Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy
a newer camera... the Sony HDV model perhaps?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-DC