[MacDV] Re: 8x DVD-R's

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Wed Apr 20 09:26:37 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 10:47AM, sb <videovideo at mac.com> wrote:

>On 4/20/05 6:54 AM, "Nick Scalise" <nickscalise at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 00:56AM, sb <videovideo at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How long are your movies? If your movies total time is less than 1/2 hour,
>>> your problem might be that the data rate is too high. You can add a dummy
>>> movie to force iDVD to switch to a lower data rate.
>>>
>>> If your movies add up to around 1 hour or more, that wouldn't be the
>>> problem. Can you try to burn at 4x or 6x?
>>
>> The movie I just burned was 6 separate clips totaling about 75 minutes. I have
>> not yet tried burning the TY's at 4x or 6x.
>>
>> However, I did experiment with the Supermediastore branded (which by the way,
>> using DVD Media Inspector, reported being TY's also - probably fakes), and the
>> only ones that would play in my mother-in-law's Sony DVD/VHS player were 1x.
>>
>> Yet, burning at 4x or 6x kind of defeats the purpose of paying extra for 8x
>> doesn't it?
>>
>Well, that's why it's recommended that before you buy a spindle of 100
>blanks, you burn one and take it to an electronics store and test it out in
>as many DVD players as possible, for compatibility.
>
>Better to burn at 4x or 6x than 1x, no?

Well,

That kind of defeats the purpose of doing online research doesn't it?. Additionally, how do you know which lot of DVD's you are getting between purchases? Even brand names switch where they get their discs manufactured. So, I buy a test lot, they work fine. I buy a spindle and they may not work. So much for testing in-store.

So, yes, it's better to burn at 4-6x than 1x, but it's not what I *PAID* for.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get into a pissing match here. I was just wondering who was getting wide compatibility with 8x burned media and what media they were using.

So far only two people have chimed in with answers:

Gerhard got some 8x Sony DVD-R's to work for him on his set-top player and has received no complaints (however, some people will not speak up out of embarrassment that they think they have poor equipment).

Norm has had good luck using "Prodisc" 4X, (only has a 4x burner).

Anybody else have good, wide, compatibility with 8x DVD-R blanks? What brand are you using?

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com