[MacDV] Re: 8x DVD Media

William Hofius wjh at mac.com
Thu Apr 21 07:37:04 PDT 2005

The problem with some DVDs burned at 8x not playing in some DVD players
is reminiscent of the problem of burning audio CDs at high speeds and
not playing in some CD players. For the CDs, the solution was to burn
the disc at lower speeds.

I wish I could remember the exact cause of the problem for audio CDs,
but it was one of two issues:

1.) The recordable layer of the CD itself was just slightly different
in terms of reflectivity. Newer drives and players could read discs
with a broader range of reflectivity but older and less expensive
drives could not.

2.) Burning at higher speeds produces subtle artifacts in the data that
are not present when burning at slower speeds. Exactly what these
artifacts, I am not sure. However, older and less expensive drives
could not deal with these artifacts.

One audio guy I know said to always burns audio CDs at 1/2 the maximum
burn speed of the drive. Perhaps this rule of thumb would apply to DVDs
as well?