[MacDV] EyeTV rave

John Mistretta mistretta at mac.com
Thu Apr 21 11:37:44 PDT 2005

As I've been working with it more and more I just thought I'd put in a
thumbs up for EyeTV's software in case anyone was pondering getting one
of ElGatos video converter boxes.

The one I have, EyeTV 200, has cable, S-video and composite inputs and
outputs to Firewire. I have that going into my Mini which then goes to
my TV.

What I've done with this is to digitize dozens of VHS, S-VHS, Video8
and 8mm tapes to the Mini's hard-drive and from there to DVD storage.
The EyeTV software component is as flawless as the digitizing. You can
edit quickly and easily and save to any number of digital formats. It
integrates well with Toast and the end result is a decent DVD video or
data disk.

As a replacement for my Replay DVR, it's not quite there yet because
the web-based channel guide isn't as polished as the Replay's guide.
But the ease with which I can access programming beats Replay by a wide
margin.  It's been pretty cool to record episodes of "24" that I can
then copy to my laptop to watch at work. . .