[MacDV] Transferring DVD to VHS

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 25 09:03:05 PDT 2005

I'm a freelance writer and when I call on prospective clients, I've always
showed my reel of TV spots and corporate videos on VHS, meaning I'd have to
go to a professional studio and have a new one made every year or so.

However, thanks to my 15" 1.5 gig AlBook, iMovie and iDVD, I'm now able to
build custom DVD reels for each pitch, a huge step forward--both in content
and quality. However sometimes the people I'm talking to don't have a DVD
player in the room, and I have to show my reel on VHS (ugh).

So, now that I'm making custom reels on DVD, what's the best transfer method
for these VHS presentations?

Should I buy one of those combo DVD/VHS set top boxes to do the transfer?
Are some better than others at this kind of task? (I recently saw one at a
Sam's Warehouse for $118).

Would the quality be the same running a cable from my standalone DVD player
to my standalone VHS player to do the transfer?

Or would I be best off running some kind of cable from my AlBook to the
client's TV and showing it directly from the original file?

Quality is important, as the material contains high-end video and sound and
I'd like it to retain as much quality as possible.

Thanks,
Brian