[MacDV] DVRs

Tom Meyer tmeyer at lps.org
Fri Apr 29 12:20:24 PDT 2005

GD2 wrote:

>Speaking of this Sony, I've been looking for a hard disk-based DVR to take
>the place of a programmable VHS recorder for TV and aux. sources, but I
>haven't been having a  whole lot of luck finding such machines. ReplayTV and
>Tivo fit the bill, but they seem to be subscription-based or nothing.
>
>Reading Patty's post, the DVD recorder would definitely be nice. I also
>wouldn't mind something "hackable" so I can install a larger hard drive down
>the road, but that "feature" is of least importance.
>
>Does any one here have experience in this area? Opinions, reviews, websites,
>etc. would all be helpful for one or both types of devices.
>
>Thanks -
>Sam
>

>on 4/27/05 10:57 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
>

>>I recently bought a Sony HX900 DVD recorder/hard disk drive, and so
>>far it's great. I've been mostly taping (er, capturing--no tape!)
>>some programs I might want to make DVDs of. But also I have a bunch
>>of old TV shows on tape (not available on commercial DVD) that I want
>>to archive on DVD.

>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

I have a panasonic DVR which is not subscription based. It has an
internal hard drive that I think is 80 or 120 gigs. It is able to
acquire the TV guide which is then used to schedule recordings as well
as choose what to watch. You can record to the hard drive and then
either dub it to the dvd-r or develop play lists to dub. You can also
set it to record straight to the disk as you watch in much the same way
as you would have a VHS.You can record and dub in different qualities
ranging from XP (1hour) down to EP which will hold 8 hours of tv
programming although at a reduced quality. I have been recording and
dubbing dvds each week for the last four months and send them to my son
in Iraq where he plays them on his portable DVD player. The quality is
not an issue on such a small screen. Even on my big screen tv the lower
quality comes through as good as over the air broadcasts. I paid around
450 for the unit but am pleased.
Tom