[MacDV] Re: Two beginner questions

sb videovideo at mac.com
Fri Aug 5 11:14:36 PDT 2005

You don't say what version of iMovie you are using, or what version of OSX?
I assume since you are using H.264, you have QT7, so you must be using
either 10.3.9 or Tiger.

DV video is 720x480. After importing into iMovie, export out using the
Share, then Expert settings, then make sure all the QT settings are for best
quality, choosing the H.264 codec, choosing 320x280 frame size, using AAC
for audio. You should be able to double that on playback and have it look
very good.

As for breaking up the video into clips using the record start/stop
information recorded onto the tape, that's a setting in the iMovie prefs.

If you are using an older version, iMovie could only import 2GB files at a
time, so it virtually cut them into 9:12 clips, which are 2GB. That doesn't
happen in iMovie 5, unless your hard drive is formatted as HSF, instead of
HSF+

Regards,

 sb