[MacDV] Archiving Projects

JScal00 at aol.com JScal00 at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 09:54:37 PDT 2005

In a message dated 8/6/05 2:08:04 PM, gdalzelltwo at dslextreme.com writes:

> Hi List,
>
> Been Gone for awhile but, armed with a new G5, I striving to get back up to
> speed on my video projects.
>
> I am looking for a strategy in archiving Imovie files. The files are
> primarily vhs & S-Video tapes converted to digital via an old Dazzle bridge.
> Most are an hour or more.
>
> What I want to do is to be able to retrieve the files so that I can do some
> additional editing in the future. Since the files are so huge, I am hoping
> there is a way to compress the files and then reopen in Imovie and see the
> "clips".
>
> I have Quicktime Pro and the 05 Version of Ilife.
>
> TIA,
>
> Gary Dalzell

Hello,

I know you've asked about compressing but I thought you may be interested in
what I've done.

What I've done is put the projects on video tape. The tapes are inexpensive,
small, and hold an hour of video each. If a project is over an hour I break it
down into hour (or fractions of) segments. Another system which is cheaper
yet is to divide the project into 4ish gig segments and burn them to DVD. I
don't burn them as a movie, I burn them as a file which unlike a video, is
editable in iMovie.

Fellow G5er, Joe Scalise