[MacDV] Making changes to a VIDEO_TS

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Thu Dec 8 09:49:33 PST 2005

> From: whoisquilty <whoisquilty at gmail.com>
>
> I've got a couple of DVDs that were homemade by another person but I'd
> like to modify them. They are extremely complicated with
> feature-specific chapters, subtitles, and stories. But, I'd like to
> remove some of the features and add others, going from a single-layer
> to a dual-layer disc.
>
> Is there a way to do this? If it would be easier to rip the material I
> want to use from the disc, are there utilities for ripping chapters
> and stories?

Three separate utilities for ripping. You will have to experiment for which you
like best.

MacTheRipper (free, but disliked by Macrovision, Inc.)
<http://www.losprimates.net/mtr/>

MPEG StreamClip (Free but requires Apple's MPEG2 Component, $20)
<http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html>
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/>

HandBrake (Free, but only rips to MP4 or AVI)
<http://handbrake.m0k.org/>

I don't know how well any handle subtitles, or any of the other features. May
be impossible without original source files.

http://www.videohelp.com/ may have more insight.