[MacDV] Re: "The device drained its buffer without burn underrun > protection."

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 14:03:37 PST 2005

On 12/11/05 at 8:03 AM, Norm Loomer <loomern at ripon.edu> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>I'm trying to use Disk Utility to burn copies of a DVD disk image.
>Three times in a row--with two different blank DVDs--the disk has
>ejected and I have received the message, "The device drained its buffer
>without burn underrun protection." What does that mean, and what can I
>do about it?
>
>I have logged out and back in and shut down all other applications. I
>am using FujiFilm DVD-R media, up to 8x. I have an eMac with 768 MB of
>SRAM. I have done this several times before without problem.
>
>I am on a deadline. Can anybody help?
>
>I read the digest, so a personal reply would be appreciated.

It could well be (probably is) the media in use. Fuji doesn't
manufacture their own media, but acquire it from other providers. My
experience with FujiFilm DVD-R media has been absolutely consistent in
my G5's A07 SuperDrive -- if it was manufactured in Taiwan, I always got
the errors you cite; however, if it was manufactured in Japan, 100%
success. The "bad" media was usable at 1x in my A04 SuperDrive in the
old G4 iMac (so, at least the rest of that spindle wasn't a complete
waste).

--
Dennis R. Cohen