[MacDV] Quicktime .mov files - cannot transfer to firewire?

John Mistretta mistretta at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 17:01:02 PST 2005

I just googled error codes (http://www.ed.psu.edu/etc/mac/errors.html)
and got this pithy description of -36, "ioErr" which doesn't tell me
anything but seems to suggest imput-output error. Whatever that is. . .

There used to be file size limits in older Mac OS's but I can't imagine
6 gigs would be a problem now. I'm guessing that you have a corrupted
file that for reasons beyond me, is too damaged for the finder to copy
from one drive to another. Since it's always the same 4 gb spot of the
file that it glitches on, I'm guessing that as you watch it, you'll
find a glitch in the video around the 2/3rds mark. As a prior post
suggested, maybe you can split the file before and after the glitch and
copy it over in two parts.

A  workaround is to compress the file into a stuffit file and see if
it'll copy over that way. Alternatively you can try puting the file
into a disk image of it and see if it'll transfer. (dunno if the OS
makes a disk image that big). Lastly, find a copy of the program Carbon
Copy Cloner and use that to transfer the file. . .

Good luck!