[MacDV] Re:Quicktime .mov files - cannot transfer

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Tue Feb 15 21:56:16 PST 2005

G'day Kathy,

Not the most elegant of suggestions but, another idea might be to (if
you're dealing with OSX macs on both ends) turn FTP Sharing ON on both
Macs and either use an FTP client App or a web browser to log into the
other Mac and pull or push the files over. I just used Cyberduck to bring
up a fellow Mac operator's home folder but alas, I didn't have a 4+GB .mov
file to test for you.

I vaguely remember our mastering Dept having a similar issue as this but I
thought it involved getting the file of an NTFS volume to a Mac. I think
they used the FTP method to bypass whatever was choking on the filesize
limit.

Perhaps an even easier test could be to change the file type to somehting
else (.pdf?) in case it has something to do with .mov files... highly
unlikely but I'd be trying all of these things myself.

Just to get this clearer in my head.... does the error appear whenever you
try to copy the files to ANY drive from their original RIP'd location? ie:
Does it fail when going from your internal drive to other internal drives?
>From the internal drives to the connected firewire drives?
Or from the Firewire drives over to the separate G4 iMac drives?

You mentioned in your original post that you have some of these files on
Firewire drives. Did you copy them there or RIP directly to there and now
can't get them off?

Also, do you have 4+GB .mov files on other Macs and do they fail in the
same way trying to copy them to either firewire drives or other computers?
I'm just trying to determine if this is a single Mac issue or across the
board.

Cheers,

Coj

KathyMac! <MacsAndMusic at MusiciansForProgress.org>

That's an idea. I will try that as soon as the computer is free (it's
ripping more .mov files from DVD right now).

If it works, great. But it still is baffling why I cannot simply copy
the file from any drive to any drive.

Kathy