[MacDV] RE: Quicktime .mov files - cannot transfer firewire?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Feb 16 09:09:58 PST 2005

I think there is a good chance that the error message is correct.  The file
is probably damaged, even if is seems to work in its current location.  I
have found ways to work around this problem in the past, such as Stuffit,
already suggested by another poster.  After the file was transferred, it
either failed to play, or caused increasing grief and erratic errors as
work proceeded.

You might try repairing permissions, using Disk Utility.  More likely to be
effective is Disk Warrior and/or TechTool Pro 4.  If it is possible to cut
and paste the assets of a file into a new empty file (not likely in this
case), that can often work.  It might also work to make a copy of the file
onto a different location on the same disk, if there is space, and then
work with the copy (also unlikely to work in this case, given the symptoms
that you mentioned).

Derek

On Feb 15, 2005, at 4:26 PM, KathyMac! wrote:

> I have several .mov files on my hard drive as well as my firewire
> drives. These files are about 6gb.
> I cannot copy them from one drive to another. Every single time it
> stops at the 4gb mark with the error code of -36 and the message "The
> finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'clip.mov'
> could not be read or written".

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100