[MacDV] MP3 issues in FCP/FCE

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Thu Feb 17 15:14:49 PST 2005

I have found this myself with MP3 files. So I did a little reading in the
FCPro Help PDF and found that it recommends importing uncompressed audio
and let the export to video codecs for audio do the compression at the
end.

It recommends importing AIFF files. I've been doing this since then and
haven't had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Coj

Ronald Woodland <woodland at infowest.com>

I haven't seen a discussion thread on this issue, so I'm wondering if
it's just our configuration problem.

I teach a course in video editing.  Of course, we use FCP and DVD
Studio Pro as the tools.  (I used to use Premiere in a cross-platform
environment, but it wasn't robust enough for student use.  That's not
possible anymore.  Besides, FCP has become the software of choice among
the pros anyway.)

In the first half of every semester, this issue comes up.  Songs in MP3
format do not work well in FCP.  I don't know exactly where the problem
comes from -- whether on import into the project or on export -- but
there is a predictable result when using MP3 files that I call "broken
stream."  If you look at the waveform of an MP3-orignated sound clip in
a FCP project or an exported QT movie afflicted with this problem, you
can see repeated breaks in the sound, usually in a very periodic
pattern through the entire clip.  The original MP3 file plays fine in
iTunes or other audio editing software, but it's bad once in FCP.  The
workaround is to convert to AIFF or WAV, then the problem never appears
and the music sounds great.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is there something I"m missing in
FCP?  It's very repeatable, but I don't find any "buzz" about this
problem anywhere.

Ronald Woodland, Assistant Professor
435.652.7970
Director of Visual Technologies Program
Dixie State College - St. George, Utah  84770