[MacDV] Re: keynote2 to FCP

sb videovideo at mac.com
Fri Feb 18 12:58:06 PST 2005

Steve:

I disagree with you about using iMovie to do pan and scan for a FCP project.

You cannot ease the moves in and out, like you can with FCP. You cannot
control the path the move takes. Also, if you are doing more than just one
move on the picture, you have to work with copies of the images.
And, iMovie doesn't give you accurate real time feedback of the moves.
There's a lot of lurching that's not really present when you export. Not to
mention how hard it is to add multiple effects along with narration and
music. And then make changes.

FCP does the square and rectangular pixel resizing of flat images
automatically for you. I'm not sure what you mean by "prepare" a still image
destined for FCP.

Anyone who is willing to learn how to edit with FCP is certainly is capable
of the 10 minutes or so it takes to learn how to keyframe either in the
viewer or the canvas.
As others have written earlier, once you place your image on the timeline,
there are three steps. 1. Position the image (left- right on screen, zoomed
in or out) and set the keyframes. 2. Move the playhead to the next point in
time. 3. Reposition the image.
Then you can use the additional controls in FCP to adjust the bezier curves,
add ease in and out points, and generally make it look like a professional
job.

 regards,

 sb