[MacDV] Re: Buffer Underrun in iDVD

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sun Feb 27 13:09:52 PST 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

>> What you need is to defragment your hard disc.
>> You need gigabytes of contiguous space to encode and burn. The lack of
>> contiguous space causes the buffer underrun.  That is why a small
>> project works, indicating that in general you are ok.
>
> This is one reason I thought using an external drive would be better (I
> delete everything off the drive when done with one DVD and then start
> on
> another).
>
> I'm just confused about hard drive space needed on the main boot
> drive.  Is
> there no way to use the exterbnal for everything?  I've heard that I
> still
> need 10G on the main drive.

iDVD does not have a place to set the drive it's going to use for the
encoding.
Maybe if you save the project to the drive when you start w/ iDVD but I
think not.
It uses OSX virtual memory (on your boot drive to do the cycling and
encoding, and it like contiguous disc space for those jobs.
10-20 gig keeps you safe, but if it is all fragmented, it's too much
work, too much time to find the next bit etc, leading to buffer
underrun.
  Use the external for raw media files and keep your boot drive clean.
se whatever defragmnentinf software suits you. I like Speed Disk.