[MacDV] DV n00b looking for some direction

Jonathan I. Nori JIN at destinyimage.com
Mon Jan 3 15:05:55 PST 2005

Hey DV folks!

I'm new to this whole DV thing, but I have several years of experience in analog tv show production. (I got out of TV just as the DV revolution started to hit studio equipment in the mid-1990's.)

First off, I have a testbed project that I'm putting together. I've got a G4, a Sony DCR-H20 (for initial testing, and maybe a couple months of production until I have more of an idea of what I really need), a DVD burner, an empty 160GB HD, and I've got a decent external mic on order.

Because most of what I'm looking to do is live broadcast, I am planning to use the highly-recommended Live Channel Pro from Channel Storm (http://www.channelstorm.com). If this is a bad idea somebody please tell me so I can stop learning it and get something else. :)

The part that I'm not all that sure about is this: I want to be able to use the internet to send my live a/v stream to the broadcaster. I've worked with satellite uplinks, and I'd like to avoid doing that again if I can. They're hard to work with and expensive.

I've got the bandwidth, I just can't seem to figure out how to stream the signal properly.

Has anyone used the internet to steam their live signal to a receiver for broadcast? I'm not making an internet broadcast...this is a real "over-the-air" broadcast, but I need to do it live from a continent away.

Any bones anyone can throw an old-fashioned broadcast tv guy would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Jon  8^)