[MacDV] Sony DVD Camera

Chuck Kay chuckkay at mac.com
Mon Jan 3 21:26:29 PST 2005

Just wanted some opinions on the Sony cameras that record to the 3 inch
DVD's (Sony DCR-DVD301). I've got a friend considering purchasing one.
This friend will be doing NO editing. Just plain old family video. In
other words, they want  a digital camera but want it to be easy w/o
much fuss. I've told my friend that w/any camera, you could play
directly from camera to TV. Of course they want to play the mini DVD on
their standard DVD player. My concern is the ability or inability of
this 3 inch DVD to play on standard DVD players over the course of
time. I fear the 3 inch DVD isn't a popular format. Here is a quote
from the specs page of this camera: "records high-quality digital video
on 3" DVD-R and DVD-RW media." Although my friend is not interested in
editing, the camera contains only a USB 2.0 interface no Firewire (or
Sony iLink). I also told friend that a standard mini-DV camera would
play w/better quality since the DVD would be more compressed video-even
from camera to TV. An advantage of the DVD camera is the ability to
take media out of camera (DVD) and insert into their DVD player. Friend
says their DVD player is compatible w/the 3" DVD media. My question is
yeah, but what about in the future when your kids want to watch it and
their DVD player does not support the media. Any thoughts? Opinions? Am
I wrong in my assumptions or any other info I should know?