[MacDV] Sony DVD Camera

Preston Boardrider at aaaHawk.com
Mon Jan 3 22:05:19 PST 2005

you are right. But your friend (sounds like a PC user) is going to
buy that gimmick DVD cam anyway. ( I know because my friend did and
now is stuck wanting to do some simple edits and is frustrated to no
end). The media is more costly than mini DV and the quality is not
that good. I looked all through a Sony DVD cam manual to find what
video format it saved in. . . . I figured it was MPEG-2. Nope, said
nothing of the sort (actually they would not say, so it's probably
some propriatary Sony format). it did say it you could choose how
long of a video you wanted to save on the DVD. Kind of like on a VCR
you can choose 2, 4 or 6 hour recording times (meaning Bad, Worse, &
Worst quality). The DVD users will say "great, I can record an hour
(or whatever it is) on one DVD, that is perfect". They don't care
about image quality or standards or compatibility. So let them buy
the Sony, they will be thrilled.

Like I said, they WILL buy this unit. All you can do is warn them
that they will at some point in the future they will come crying to
you for help and all you're going to do is say "I told you so".

best
-Preston