[MacDV] Toast/copying DVD-R

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jan 5 08:20:10 PST 2005

On Wednesday, January 5, 2005, at 10:52  AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2005, at 11:38 PM, lanny cotler wrote:
>
>> Churned around a bit, but then dropped down an alert saying something
>> like "Disk full, Error Code -34...".
>>
>> Again, I checked to see that the Prefs had the "Roxio Converted
>> Items" going to a drive with plenty of space. I also checked to see
>> if and "key prefs" of note lurked in the Record Settings... menu. I
>> couldn't see anything special there.
>
> That process should work, and all indications are that your hard drive
> is too full. Keep in mind when doing a copy like this that Toast isn't
> doing any converting, so where converted items may or may not go is
> probably irrelevant. You may need to make sure there is enough room on
> your main (boot) hard drive.
>
> -Mike

So, since write speed and underrun protection are not noteworthy, we
must assume the guise of Hemlock Solmes and deduce the cause of these
errors.
  Firstly I would say that in the Toasting upgrades I have kept quite a
few versions and using one of the 5.xx versions might work better.
  Also I am reminded of  the case of the queasy iMac.
A gentleman called saying that, while running FCP on his one drive iMac
it would stop capture after two minutes, with a "disc full" message,
despite the fact that he had 20 gigs left on his drive.
  I asked if he had saved anything since last it worked. Why yes he had,
a song he saved from the last job.
  "Delete that", said I ." and your problems will vanish". And they did
due to the fact that we had "speed disked" his disk to have contiguous
free space previously.
  So , your problem Lanny, might be that your disc is fragmented.
Jim